My Blog List

See Me Sew

Welcome to my little space! Let's share our things we cherish

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Mother’s Needlepoint Restretched on Acid-Free Board and Reframed

My customer had a beautiful needlepoint woodland scene hand-stitched by his mother that had been water-damaged. Mainly, though, it needed to be removed from the old cardboard backing that someone had originally stapled it to for framing.

                               IMG_1681

Close-up photo of water damage, acidic cardboard and tear in canvas:

IMG_1673 IMG_1679

IMG_3760

I began by removing the staples and getting the needlework off the cardboard. Next, I patched the torn area with interfacing fabric. Then I machine-stitched clean, unbleached muslin fabric to all sides of the piece. This fabric doesn’t have any starches or finishes on it and it’s very sturdy. It should last a long, long time and be “healthy” for the needlework.

IMG_3752     IMG_3751

Once the fabric was on, all the seams were hand-stitched together and the edges turned under, preparing the piece for lacing it to a piece of Canson brand acid-free art board. Here it is, pinned for lacing:

IMG_3757

 

No comments:

Post a Comment